Monday, April 14, 2008

Justice Raoul Cantero Announces His Resignation


Supreme Court of Florida

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 11, 2008

Contact: Craig Waters

(850) 414-7641

TALLAHASSEE – Justice Raoul G. Cantero, III, today announced his resignation from
the Florida Supreme Court effective September 6, 2008.



“On July 10, 2002, I received a call from Governor Jeb Bush, Cantero said, asking me to accept an appointment to our State's Supreme Court one of the greatest honors
that can be bestowed on a lawyer. I took the oath of office that September, beginning a journey of intellectual, professional, and personal challenges that continues even now. Along the way, I have met many wonderful people and made lifelong friendships.


“During these six years, despite the new friends we have made, my wife, three children, and I have missed our hometown. It is time I put my family's needs first. We have an extended family in Miami, which has grown to include many grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. My children miss their grandparents, their aunts and uncles, and their cousins. For various reasons, including the ages of my children and recent illnesses, we have decided that now is the right time to return. As much as I have enjoyed my work on the Court on behalf of the people of Florida, I must think of my family first.

“I will of course miss many people with whom I have worked, including my wonderful
and dedicated staff, and all the employees not only in the Florida Supreme Court but in the Office the State Courts Administrator. I also will miss working on matters important to the administration of justice with so many dedicated judges and lawyers from across the state.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed working with my colleagues for the past six years. Through their example, I have learned to be a better lawyer and a better person. I will miss them and the wisdom they bring to the most important legal issues the State must confront.

“I have loved this job and have enjoyed these last six years. I am grateful for the
opportunity Governor Bush gave me to serve the people of Florida. Now it is time to
rededicate myself to my family.

“I want to thank the people of Tallahassee, especially those in our church and school communities, for taking us into their heart. We have made friends that we will keep forever.

“This is a difficult time to leave. The judicial branch is under tremendous pressure due to budgetary shortfalls. I can only hope that the Florida legislature acknowledges our position as an equal branch of government and recognizes the critical need for funding. Despite my departure, I will continue to advocate on behalf of the judiciary.

“As I leave this position, I must also acknowledge the debt I owe to those who blazed a trail before me so that one day a citizen of Hispanic descent could be appointed to the State's highest Court.

“I will be forever grateful to Jeb Bush, my colleagues on the Court, the court's staff, the lawyers who appeared before us, and the people of Florida.

“I will now return to the practice of law: crafting briefs and making arguments. I look forward to the new challenges ahead. However, my service to the Bar, to my
community, and to my state has not ended; as a private citizen and lawyer I will
continue to advocate for professionalism among attorneys and respect for the judiciary.

Cantero's letter of resignation was delivered to Gov. Charlie Crist earlier today.

Cantero, 47, is Florida’s 80th Justice since statehood was granted in 1845. A native of Madrid, Spain, Cantero is the son of Cuban exiles who fled the communist regime
and later settled in Florida in the 1960s.

He is the first person of Hispanic descent to serve on the state's highest court. For more information, see:

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/justices/cantero.shtml

No comments: