Thursday, April 19, 2007

10-year-old pleads no contest to misdemeanor battery in homeless beating

Tanya Caldwell
Sentinel Staff Writer
April 19, 2007, 10:25 AM EDT

One of the two 10-year-olds accused of beating and stoning a Daytona Beach homeless man pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery on Thursday.

Drew will be released from juvenile detention and remain under house arrest while living with an aunt in Michigan.

Circuit Judge John W. Watson said Drew faces a year in jail or probation for his role in the attack that drew national attention to youth violence on the homeless.

Drew's mother said she was happy the boy was being released, but she and other family members would not comment further.

John D'Amico, the victim, attended Thursday's hearing and said he wasn't angry any more, adding that Drew was not one of main aggressors in the March 27 attack.

The fate of another boy, Jordan, was postponed earlier this week after his defense attorney asked for more time to determine whether the boy is competent to stand trial.

Jordan has a learning disability and a history of behavioral problems, defense attorney Tonya Cromartie said in juvenile court Monday.

A third boy arrested in the attack, 17-year-old Jeremy Woods, will face a separate trial in adult court.

The Orlando Sentinel is not publishing the last names of the 10-year-olds, or their relatives, because of the boys' ages.

No comments: