Saturday, April 14, 2007
ORLANDO, Fla. - A registered sexual predator wanted in Orlando for sexually assaulting a child under 12 years old was being held without bond Friday in Broward County, law enforcement officials said.
Orange County Sheriff's deputies and U.S. Marshals arrested Dubric Lloyd Mitchell, 66, Thursday on 50 counts of sexual battery on a child under 12-years-old, the U.S. Marshals office said in a statement.
The charges are a capital crime under Florida law, and if convicted, Mitchell could face the death penalty, said Danielle Tavernier, a spokeswoman for State Attorney Lawson Lamar.
"We have to look at all the evidence and decide if the case will support 50 counts," Tavernier said.
Mitchell's victim told Orange County Sheriff's investigators last month that the sexual assault had been ongoing for years. Mitchell discovered a warrant was issued for his arrest and fled to South Florida, where he stayed with relatives, officials said.
Mitchell has not yet been assigned an attorney, according to the Orange County Public Defender's office.
Mitchell was convicted of sexual battery on a child under 12-years-old in 1996.